Thursday, January 27, 2011

Writing for Life (#ROW80 update)

I have been feeling uninspired for some time now.  It seems that the roadblocks have been mounting and they have proven more and more difficult to navigate.  I have committed myself to online support groups to attempt to achieve my goals (#ROW80 specific for writing goals, #300stepstogreatness for everyday and life goals).  I have this overwhelming urge to do so much but it feels as if I am standing in drying cement up to my ankles.  But I continue to press on, trying to find what works for me.  Last month I decided that I would "do something" on my days off.  For me, this meant going outside of my home to enjoy an activity that I am interested in. My goal is to travel.  I had planned to start off with small, local, day outings and build into full vacations in countries across the world.  I recognize that I have put myself on the back burner for many years and that, now, is MY time.  I also recognize that there is some fear involved but this is something that I have to do for myself.  I feel as if I'm dying on the inside and I need to save my own life.  I am a caged bird.  But I have the key to my own freedom and am determined to take those needed steps, alone if need be.  I know that much of my journey will be alone because it is my own but I also know that there are good people in this world that will help me along my journey when I need it.

On my path, a book was suggested to me by a fellow writer and creator of the  #300stepstogreatness community (thatwritingchic.wordpress.com): The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron.  While I have just began the introductory pages of the book, I have a good feeling about this process I am about to endure.  I have the fear of the unknown. It is mine. I own it. Yet, I have signed the contract to complete the course outlined in the book.  This is for me.  This is to save my own life.  One of the tools in the course is to have a weekly artist date, what I had planned to do anyway just last month.  So, I don't have to wing it!  My writing goals, as of today, are still the same: write at least twice each week for at least an hour on at least one of my WIPs.  I will use today and tomorrow (my days off from work) to accomplish those goals and the article writing/research goals.

I am so very grateful for the communities that I have become a part of.  Your blogs help and inspire me.  Thank you.

4 comments:

  1. Best of luck. It sounds like you're at a changing point in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are AMAZING and if I could actively begin my "writing life" at the age of 47, I KNOW you can do it.

    As a RESPONSIBLE parent, we often put our lives on the back burner. However, we still LIVE. We are ALIVE. I want to encourage you to take small steps and you will continue to see results.

    Some people benefit greatly from setting a time to write and then writing for a specific amount of time. That has never worked for me. While I have set my morning from 6am - 8am to be complete with at LEAST my posting for 300 Steps to Greatness, the only way that I accomplish that is by thinking about what I am going to post the night before.

    Try not to think of writing as a stand alone process. I encourage you to take the exercise I blogged about on Sunday, even if you do it later in the week. It will make a difference.

    So, throughout your day today, think about your WIPs and which one excites you most right now. Think of what the next natural movement in the story line should be. Once you have it set in your heart - then write it out.

    Try not to make your writing forced - after all the purpose is for you to ENJOY it, especially since the only deadlines you have are self-imposed. Be kind to yourself. You are an incredibly talented writer, with the heart of an angel and that alone, my dear, will take you far!

    Be encouraged and know that I am here for you! I appreciate your support more than words can express.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why am I just reading this comment? Hmmmm, probably because I have been neglecting my own blog! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete